There are some items we don't allow to you to bring in your carry-on or checked luggage and some items that need to be packaged in a certain way. Here are some of those items. Make sure you refer to our full luggage policy and contact us if you have any questions.
- Chilly bins, boxes and bags carrying fresh or frozen food and/or any frozen goods will not be accepted for transportation.
- All sports equipment luggage, including golf clubs, must be packaged into a holdall secure bag. If it complies with the size and weight dimensions above, the item will be counted as one of your two Checked Luggage entitlements. If not, it will be regarded as oversized luggage and a charge will apply.
- As we are a passenger service, we do not carry freight or unaccompanied luggage.
- Bicycles must be collapsed down (both wheels removed from the frame) with handlebars turned sideways and the chain covered. Bicycles presented in this fashion will be accepted for travel and counted as one of your two Checked Luggage entitlements. If your bicycle is not collapsed down then it will be regarded as Oversize Luggage.
- There are some services that have a smaller luggage allowance or can't take bikes and other oversize items. Check our oversize luggage page for more info.
Unsuitable checked-in luggage
The following items are deemed unsuitable for luggage stowed in the luggage lockers. If you do include such items in your stowed luggage, you do this wholly at your own risk and InterCity will not be liable for any costs for inconvenience, replacement, delay, loss or damage you or any other party may suffer.
- Passports and travel documents
- Cameras, video cameras etc
- Computers or computer equipment
- Electrical or electronic devices
- Business documents or important documents
- Fragile, delicate or perishable goods
- Valuable items, such as money, jewellery or similar
- Any item that is not sufficiently packaged to withstand normal effects of carriage by road transport.
The following items are prohibited from being carried on or transported by any InterCity service:
- Liquids/creams not carried in watertight containers
- Flammable liquids
- Explosives (including fireworks)
- Poisonous, toxic, or hazardous substances
- Solvents Fuel (including gas bottles)
- Batteries (unless used in portable consumer electronic devices)
- Any form of gun, rifle, firearm, weapon, explosives or ammunition. An exception applies to firearms, which can be accepted if they are unloaded and carried in a locked box or container that is designed to prevent access.
- Illegal drugs or substances
- Animals (except for guide dogs or other certified service dogs)
- Frozen food and fresh meat, poultry or fish
- Any other item deemed unsafe by the driver or InterCity staff